Old 20-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Bungadora

Default A compost question

David Ross

[snipped lengthy message that bascially asked: Should I add
bonemeal when composting?]

Sorry. I was feeling chatty. Too much wine, I guess. I'll rephrase. Do people
add bonemeal to compost when they have a soil that is acidic? I'm just curious
and trying to understand what other people do if they have acidic soil (which,
as I said, I do not have).

The best thing to add when composting is old compost. It has all
the necessary micro-organisms for turning leaves and clippings into
greate soil.

To speed things up, I add nitrogen. I use urea, a synthetic
organic. The micro-organisms proliferate with nitrogen. This is
especially good if your raw material is mostly dry leaves.

I have trouble getting enough brown, frankly. I've seen paper recommended as a
brown, but mostly paper towels, filters, etc., which I don't use. Does office
paper work? Or does it take too long to decompose?

The only things really needed are air and water. I use a spading
fork to turn my compost pile, which brings air into the center of
the pile. Then I wet it down (something I should do more often).

Me too. Thanks for the advice.
Dora