Old 20-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Dawn

Default help wanted identifying zucchini pest problem

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Here are some images of vine borer damage on squash. Remember,
more sap and moisture might alter the appearance of the damage:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...s/squashvb.jpg
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/rhodcv/hort410/8021a.jpg
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/bugrevi...ineborer02.jpg

Thanks Pat, that is what it looks like. I've never seen borers like this
before. The last time I had them they came in at ground level on the
main rootstalk and the damage was fairly 'dry' in comparison. It has
been pretty wet here this spring, too.

I went and looked at one plant, and sure enough, there was a big white
grub in there, so I squashed it (har har). I'll check and see if I can't
get the other one out and save both plants.

Thanks for your help,

Dawn