Old 20-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Default String algae experiment and a question

Jim and I have been trying an experiment here.

This year we let the string algae have our anacharis veggie filter at the
start of the year. (The koi keep the main pond clear of it.)

Rationale:
-Anacharis can make it under the algae and the algae take up nutrients.
-The algae will be at the top of the veggie filter only.
-The algae will fade when other things grow...maybe.

Consequences:
-The anacharis is not doing as well as usual, but is ok.
-The frogbit in the pond was destroyed by the algae. Why? Don't know.
-The blanket got very thick!

Present development:
-The string algae is now rotten and going away.
-The other plants are mushrooming. We have tossed 50 sq ft of 18-24" wh
and cut a bushel or so of other plants weekly.

Observation:
-We were away for a couple of weeks. Jim stipped putting phosphorus in
the pond. Leaves began to yellow on a variety of plants.
-Upon return, he began again and the plants greened up right away.
-Phosphours really works.

Question:
-Why does the string algae in the anacharis pond fail when the string
algae in the waterfall and stream beds thrives?
-Is the shallow pond the issue rather than the competition?

Any ideas?

Phyllis

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net