Old 20-06-2004, 09:41 PM
Phisherman

Default A compost question

On 20 Jun 2004 13:38:56 GMT, ospam (Bungadora)
wrote:

David Ross

[snipped lengthy message that bascially asked: Should I add
bonemeal when composting?]

Sorry. I was feeling chatty. Too much wine, I guess. I'll rephrase. Do people
add bonemeal to compost when they have a soil that is acidic? I'm just curious
and trying to understand what other people do if they have acidic soil (which,
as I said, I do not have).

No. I do not add bonemeal to my compost. I add lime to acidic soil
to lower the pH. Our soil is acidic so I try to keep plants that
prefer acidic or neutral soil. My sage and lavender are surrounded by
concrete which helps neutralize the naturally acidic conditions.