Old 21-06-2004, 01:04 PM
matt

Default New guy

"Graham Blackham" wrote in message

"matt" wrote in message
u...
OK Allan,,,,,,,,, tis Okay an old Northern ******* like me will proably
diappear into the bush & live like a blackfella. Eating Turtles, Dogon &
roo's. I grew up in the bush with the black fellas yes I even have a

totem
so I'll let the world go too shit it won't bother me I'ld proably be

happy
there with no tech if the world went too shit & making your way there in

Monsoon is unheard off Unless you can swim inland oceans that appear in

dessert overnight. reality is if some one wants too kill you they'll do

it

i like the Stein sub machine gun & prefer the SLR over most Rifles I

know
I'm a little old fashioned but the SLR has one hell of a range & does a
shit load of damage. I like the Stein because she has saved my arse yeas

agree in
"Alan Connor" wrote in message
ink.net...
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 14:07:45 +1000, matt

wrote:

Hey guys,

I was recomended this site by a mate, i don't have much in the way

of
military training I was never allowed too join after being leveled

by
truck at 16. I've done a job or two under an old Pohm (Hard old

*******s),
so I have a tendency too respect them a little more the most. Well

hope
too
hear from people soon.

I don't know who you've been talking to, but once this civilization

breaks
down, you are going to have to worry about things like food and

shelter
and heat and light and water and clothing and soap and utensils and

tools.

If your idea of defense is to have some guns around and try to shoot

anyone
that attacks you, then you just aren't going to last long.

You'll have a LOT of work to do, and IF the bandits can locate your

place,
they aren't going to stand at the top of a nearby ridge and yell a
challenge to you.

They are going to shoot you in the back from 150 yards away while you

are
chopping wood or carrying water and that's the end of that.

Or set booby-traps along the trails you frequent.

The Viet Cong basically defeated the Americans with sniping and booby-
traps....

Supposing you DID have some advance warning and managed to get your

rifle
and find cover? The thing about firefights is that even the winner

usually
suffers casualties and if you seriously hurt one of the bandits they

are
going to be highy-motivated to return, even if you 'win', which is to

say,
drive them off.

For a person desiring to live in safety and peace, neither of the

above
are acceptable outcomes.

Forget about the guns. That approach only works in the movies and

sometimes,
in the short run, for large, organized communities that are wealthy

enough
to have a standing army of one kind or another.

Learn how to make your retreat inacessible to anyone but your trusted
friends (location and camouflage and no noise or smoke that can be
detected at a distance) and make sure that all of your essential

things
are in fortified and/or hidden structures that you can retreat to

until
they move on.

With nothing to steal, and no fight, they won't hang around for long,
and if you don't seriously hurt any of them, they won't have vengeance
as an excuse to return.

(make sure you erase any marks they might have left, like blazes on
trees, that would allow them to find their way back)

Earth-sheltered structures are simple to fortify and you can use smoke
generators to make the immediate area very unpleasant to be in, as
further discouragement.

The other key here is to have someone on patrol at all times, with
a whistle (etc.) to notify you of imminent danger, with a number of
small, hidden, safe-structures around the perimeter of the retreat
for them to find safety in after sounding that warning.

Usually, they would have time to just return to the steading and tell
you in person.

This patrol would also be on the lookout for people that you would

LIKE
to get to know. The person on patrol could approach them carefully,
pretending to be hiking through, and make a decision about inviting
them to visit or not. And so on.

An important part of being inaccessible is having all obvious trails,
including big game trails, lead AROUND your retreat. Make it easy
for people to do this.

Another important part is making sure that no one follows you back
to your retreat from any kind of gathering elsewhere, or from
being accidentally observed by someone while you are out exploring
and such.

No ordinary group of people with guns can expect to be able to
make a living after the collapse and defend themselves from armed
and experienced bandits or large bands of desperate refugees, with
those guns.

Those that adopt this strategy are not likely to live for long,
and the time they do have will not be very pleasant.

AC

yeh well i just ate me last wombat mate and im still starvin

Wombat is one of the few animals I haven't eaten Sea Turtle is one of the

best meat i have EVER eaten better then Steak, it has a rich beefy
flavour......god I'm drooling already