Old 21-06-2004, 03:13 PM
gerry

Default Kitty Litter destroys String Algae

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 12:42:20 -0400, gerry wrote:

This is just a post reporting results I had from tips in another thread. I
made it a new thread to highlight it. Take no credit other than my success
story, the concept was posted by others.

I've been fighting string Algae for three years. Barely straw works early
in the year but fails when the trees leaf out and there is too little
sunlight (UV) to make peroxide from straw decay products.

This was a particular problem in my planted stream. harvesting the string
algae would rip up delicate plants such as 4 leaf clover. I have a
waterfall, three stream regions, each with a 10" or mini water fall to
accommodate grading.

I bought Wallmart's "Special Kitty" unscented kitty liter - ingredients
are "ground clay". 25# cost $2.

Update:

A bit over 9 days since the elimination of this nasty stuff, it is
beginning to regrow. I am trying a 2nd treatment and will report back.

Of course, the death of the original mass returned nutrients, but regrowth
would suggest the benefit as not binding a material such as iron.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com