Old 21-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Mark Anderson

Default Rose of Sharon Issues

In article says...
live about 20 miles north of Boston, Zone 5 and have a large ROS in my
yard that has done well for many years. This year I've got NOTHING, no
buds, no leaves, no signs of life. I just cut two large branches off of it
(from the ground up) - it was getting way too large and I'm thinking maybe
that will scare it into doing something :-)

There are no signs of disease or bugs or anything, and the large sections I
cut appeared to be alive - it's hard to tell though, when it's dormant it's
so stiff.

It usually leafs out late, but this is ridiculous.

Anybody have a ROS go quiet for a year then come back?? Or is this thing
gonzo?

I've never seen that happen but I have seen old and very old ROS just die
one year for no apparent reason. Mine (in Zone 5 Chicago) don't bloom or
bud until mid July but they're in full leaf mode now and growing out. I
maintain a hedge and help seedlings along so if mom suddenly dies one
year, there are many redundant ROS to take her place.