Old 21-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Vox Humana

Default Need your help!

"SugarChile" wrote in message
Maybe poke, although I don't think so, a little hard to tell from the
pictures. It might also be pigweed , Amaranthus retroflexus
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/amare.htm.

I understand that you are frustrated by trying to control this weed, but
it's a bad idea to pour gasoline on the ground. It contaminates the
groundwater, is probably illegal where you live, and as you have noted,

not
always effective anyway.

For either poke or pigweed, you can pull small plants in the spring, and

dig
up the larger ones. If you miss some of the root, they will attempt to
regrow, but if you are diligent about pulling/cutting the new growth, the
root will exhaust itself. It's probably impractical to aim for total
eradication; both plants set plentiful seeds, and poke berries in

particular
are a favorite of birds and get spread through them.

I have had reasonable success in controlling pokeweed by simply stepping it
down when it appears. Eventually, it dies. Unfortunately, new plants
spring up in other locations. We must have a big reservoir of it close by
that the birds feed on and then seed my lot.