Old 22-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Default Trickle down veggie filter ?

Can you arrange a bottom drain? It makes crud removal so much easier.

Can you set up some sort of easy/light mechanical filter for the physical
stuff and let roots do the rest? Maybe screen in bags.

Our WH and celery both have great root systems. The celery is in a kiddie
pool and has its roots to the bottom. The pool is thus full of roots for
the water to work its way through.

Slow flow through the plants allows most of the muck to drop. The roots
collect muck and provide surface for bacteria. We think is is probably MORE
surface than lava rock. Think about a 5' x 1' mass of roots.

Cleaning plants is a lot easier than cleaning lava rock.

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

"GrannyGrump" wrote in message
I am disabled, and can't clean filters easily, so I am planning on
making a veggie filter from a large water trough (Tractor Supply).
Planning on rocking this in, with a roof, so that it looks like a
wishing well...
This trough has an opening at the bottom for draining water.
I am planning on having water pumped from my pond into the top, so
that it trickles down to the bottom and back into the pond.
I figure lava rock on the bottom, then a layer of gravel, then a layer
of barley straw, with water cress and water plants on top.

Will this work?