Old 22-06-2004, 08:02 AM
gary davis

Default When Weed Killer Doesn't

On 6/19/04 12:54 PM, in article ,
"John McGaw" wrote:

I had always thought that one weed killer was the same as another but had
always used Roundup since it was so commonly available. Well, a few weeks
back I went to my local Ace Hardware for some bolts and remembered that my
Roundup was about gone so I grabbed some spray from a prominent display.
Something called "Ortho Season Long Grass & Weed Killer". A big mistake
that, since this stuff not only doesn't kill weeds it doesn't even seem to
seriously inconvenience them. I've sprayed a wide variety of plants from
oxalis to poison ivy to brush honesuckle and dozens of unidentified others.
Most of them twice at a one-week interval. Nothing. Well, not exactly
nothing since one or two leaves on the brush honeysuckle turned black and
maybe an oxalis or two croaked (but there are so many of them it is hard to
tell).

Has anybody else experience this sort of chemical failure? Is there anything
besides Roundup which works?

Yes, elbow grease.
Dig up the plants certainly before they go to seed. It can be very
effective. Good ol' elbow grease. Non polluting...that's good. And then you
find muscles you didn't know you had! Another good thing!
It is difficult at this time to know the long term effects of these
chemicals on the environment...ground water (drinking) etc. but your
grandchildren will know.
You didn't say on what you wanted to get rid of but if it is in your
lawn, just cut it more often. They are green, so no problem. A green lawn
and no chemicals that may affect...your grandchildren, that probably is a
good thing.
I may not be right but your grandchildren will know.
Use elbow grease...it may have more benefits than you know. And, you
know, weeds are not a bad thing...the bees love 'em.
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada

To reply please remove...yoursocks...