Old 22-06-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Water Lily Holes

china mark moth or something liek that

(Sue Walsh) wrote:

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message news:aWZAc.7212
Very frequently mylily leaves develope little 1/8" brown brown

circles, they multiply, the leaf yellows and dies.

Hi Bill,

A worm causes these small holes I forget its name. They eat holes in
the leaf and then wrap themselves in pieces of it and float to the
next leaf and start to do their damage on that one. They do need to
be controlled unless you like the look of all your leaves with holes.
They also will burrow into the stem of the leaf and turn it yellow
prematurely. They do make the plants unsightly and not as strong
growers. So it's a good idea to deal with them.

They can be eradicated with the use of a product called 'Thuricide'
which is Bacillus thuringiensis Berliner. I buy it at Home Depot.
This is a liquid, which you mix with water and spray on all the leaves
in your pond. It does not hurt fish or frogs or plants. It only
kills worms and caterpillars. So be careful when you use it to not
get it on any butterfly plants, including water plants such as 'Water
Hyssop' which is a host plant for the White Peacock butterfly. It
will not hurt the plant but will kill any caterpillars of that
butterfly that are using it as a host plant. (Yes, I'm a butterfly
nut) Read the label and use only the proportions they say. Do not
spray in the heat of the day. I only mix a half-gallon at a time,
since you cannot keep it more than a few hours. I use 2 TBL per 1/2
gallon of water and spray in the evening and then again early the next
morning, using up that entire amount. You may have to do this a few
times if your infestation is high. After that you can keep them under
control by doing it as soon as you start to see just a few holes in
the leaves. It's not hard and keeps the plants looking much nicer and
growing stronger.

Sue W
Brooksville, FL

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List