Old 22-06-2004, 08:02 PM

Default Crayfish?

Before putting them in verify what species of crayfish you are dealing
with. Some are far more agressive towards fish and plants then others.
I currently have about a dozen white river crayfish (Procambarus
acutus acutus) in my 2000 gallon pond. They leave the plants alone and
only bother "sick" fish. At one point I had put some rusty crayfish
(Orconectes rusticus) in and ended up having to remove them, as they
were making a mess of the plants and injured a couple of my large Koi.

I find the crayfish quite amusing. Although they spend most of the
daylight hours hiding under the plant pots, they are quick come out
when they smell fish food at feeding times. They climb up the lily
pad stems to the surface and hang upside down trying to grab pieces of
floating food before the Koi snatch it up.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 08:59:42 -0400, "Benign Vanilla"
wrote:

The rumor on the street that the big pond on the farm nearby is fed by a
stream, and that the stream has crayfish in it. My neighbor things it would
be cool to put some in the pond. I concur, but want to be sure it's cool for
the fish. Any thoughts?

BV.