Old 22-06-2004, 10:03 PM
mikey

Default Grandma's orchid plants

In article , mikey
wrote:

In article , Tom Randy
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:18:25 -0700, mikey wrote:

Hello Orchid good person,

I recently inherited a small window box of individually potted orchid
plants from my Grandmas' apartment. Needless to say the plants
themselves aren't as dear to me as where they once lived.

My Question: How does one determine if an orchid plant is truly beyond
hope of revival, or if it is simply resting below the surface and
gathering the strength to burst forth once again?

mikey

Look at the roots IN the pot(s), tell us how they look.

+-+-+

Sorry to get back to you so late, it's been a busy week.

The plants are all potted in what appears to be ordinary reddish/brown
bark chips of the kind that a nursery would sell to orchid hobbyists.
They all look terribly dried out but a few do have a leaf or two of
leather green with brown spots and tips and do seem to be coming back
just watered. None have root rot - they were all too dry.

If I can see a bit of chlorophyll, anywhere, on the plant, I can
believe it will live.

I'm unsure about the ones that seem to be just shells - the ones that
she would somehow bring back to life and have blooming again. I
remember her telling me that orchids don't really die because they have
such tiny seeds that we can't see the parts of them that are still
alive. Those were what she referred to as resting under the surface.

I'm now thinking that if the seeds are there, they will need some
intensive care. There are so many books on orchid care I'm finding. Is
there one that stands out in your minds as The emergency care authority
on ailing orchids?

Any and all thoughts are truly appreciated. Thank you.
mikey

+-+-+

Hello again good people,

Just want you to know that I'll be going 'down periscope' once more,
and I don't want you think that I am being rude if I don't respond.

You have been helpful, even if for nothing else than just stopping by
and offering. If, and when, one of them blooms again I'll post a photo
in abpo - and brag about it. :-)

Thank you again,
mikey