Old 23-06-2004, 07:07 PM
GeneS

Default Deer Trouble

It's refreshing to read a post where someone has a clear
grasp of reality - nice job.

We live on an old ranch, so we have a fair knowledge of deer
and their habits. IMHO, there is only two ways to insure that
they do not get into your garden, orchard, etc. The first is to erect
a deer fence using the 10' (overall) T posts & 2 3/8" welded steel
braces. This is your run-of-the-mill deer fence you see in the country.
You are probably thinking, "Yeah, gonna build that in a subdivision, right?"
The answer is "YES" - you can. My kids did it in a subdivision in
Georgetown.
They were a bit skeptical at first, but everyone loves it now. No deer, as
well as
dogs, bad guys, etc. can get in. The front (street side) is a 6'+ custom
cedar
design. The deer have not attempted to enter from the front. Here is the key
"Run an
irrigation line around the base of the 8' fence, plant evergreen vines, etc,
& think
of the entire 8' fence as a lush trellis." This design has cured so many
problems,
just use your imagination:-)

The second way, and one of my favorites, is Wick Fowler chili mix.
http://www.foodlocker.com/twoalchilmix.html

Gene
Briggs, TX

"B.Server" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 08:26:52 -0400, "John A. Keslick, Jr."
wrote:

The more logging the more deer are blamed on for the problem. The true
problem is logging federal public land does not increase forest health

but
make parts of the once fertile forest to appear as pathogens. We are the
pathogens.

"GolfNut" wrote in message
.. .
help!! besides a fence...how do i keep the derr from eating my small
trees and plants. i use liquid fence but that is sooo expensive. plus
after a watering or rain, it's all gone.

is there a home remedy...some type of organic tea that i could brew to
put on stuff or around it to keep the deer away. they are even going
after "deer resistant" plants these days.

tw

Best I can tell, the nearest "federal public land" is around 175-190
miles from here. I rather doubt that the vermin eating my garden are
either refugees from there or that the condition of that federal land
is germane to the issue.

Deer are genetically adapted to heavy predation and fluctuations in
food supply. In a suburb filled with soft-headed bambi lovers and
succulent vegetation that is missing any form of predator other than
the occasional SUV, they will breed until they are thick as flies.

If you have, as I do, a moron living nearby that feeds the damned
things 40# bags of corn, the only answer is venison. Unfortunately,
achieving that is a little hard in suburbia.