Old 23-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Sue Solomon

Default problems with cut roses

There might be a simple solution ...
After you purchase your next batch of roses, recut about 1/2" of each rose
stem under water! Cutting the stem underwater insures that no air bubbles
will form over the cut to cut off water to the rose. I know it sounds crazy,
and you'll have to wipe down your pruners after you finish, but it works.
Try it! You'll be pleased with the result! My supermarket roses always open
normally and last several days!

I get a deep bowl of fresh, cool water. (an old margarine container) I place
the stem of each rose in the bowl, with the lower portion of stem under
water. I get the pruning shears and make a diagonal cut under water about
1/2" from the bottom. I leave the rose in the water for a few minutes while
I finish cutting the other rose stems. I then move the roses into their
final container filled with fresh, cold water.

Also, be sure to wash out your vases well with soap and bleach before using.

Good luck!
Sue

wrote in message
om...
hi,

my cut rosebuds which bought from supermarkets always die within a few
days without the petals open. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?
I changed the water everday, and live in a tropical country.