Old 24-06-2004, 03:08 AM
Ann

Default No Blooms on Hydrangea

"Sandra Galvin" expounded:

Hello all,

I have two hydrangea plants outside my home in Franklin, MA. Every year
they grow larger with the leaves but never seem to bloom with flowers. Is
there something that I need to do to get the plants to bloom.

I am obviously new to gardening and these plants where there when I bought
the house. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sandra

Sandra, what kind of hydrangeas are they? If they're the florist
hydrangeas, then the problem is they bloom on second year growth, and
they aren't reliably hardy in our area. You need to protect them with
burlap and leaves to get them through the winter, however, last winter
nothing would have saved them.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA