Old 24-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Ka30P

Default Advice needed - pond PH too high, my koi died

Hi Karen,

Glad you found your way here. Often petstores,
even some nurseries, don't know much about ponds and you don't get good advice
from them. But we know a lot and we give good advice ;-)

What everyone else says. Two goldfish in 50 gallons will be fine. There are
some loverly ones out there who rival koi in their colors.
Also when you get the test kit, post exact numbers as some numbers can have a
scale of measurements that are okay and some if there is even a bit reported is
not good.

Algae eaters can turn on fish so we don't recommend them. As BV said algae that
grows in the side of the pond or on the sides of your pots helps your pond.
What ponders don't like is algae that makes your pond look like pea soup. Click
the link below my sig. and you can read my algae primer to help you understand
who to avoid an algae bloom or deal with one when it happens.

We'll have you up and running in no time. For now I'd call your city/county,
find out what is in your water, buy the product needed and treat the water.
When you add fish float them in their bag for about 20 minutes, you are waiting
for the temperatures in the bag to adjust to the water so the fish won't be
shocked by a rapid adjustment in temperature. (If the sun is shining on the
bag, shade it with a kitchen towel.)

Unfortunately many of us have had some of the same experiences but we learned
and have gone on to run successful ponds.

kathy :-)
algae primer