Old 24-06-2004, 05:08 PM
FarmerDill

Default winter squash not maturing

I've planted a winter squash this year called Lakota. The vines are
very productive and healthy looking, but every fruit turns yellow and
withers shortly after the blossom withers. Help! Is this a nutrient
problem? Everything else in the garden is healthy. There are plenty of
insects visiting the blossoms (and plenty of simultaneous male
blossoms) so I don't think it's a pollination problem. At this point I
wonder if I'll have any mature squashes.

Our summer so far (N MD) has been fairly wet, with about average
warmth. Any tips appreciated!

Orin Hargraves

I agree with Steve. I have grown Lakota and its usually a pretty trouble free
squash. There are two reasons for the young squash to be aborted. One is lack
of pollination. Check to make sure that honeybees, bumble bees, carpenter bees
, or native squash bees are working. The other is stress on the plant. If you
have bees and the plants are healthy then the squash should set as soon as the
weather conditions are right for the plant. If you don't have bees or there is
an abundance of other preferable flowers than hand pollination is the last
resort.