Old 24-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Nedra

Default Few odd Questions Any help appreciated (pond/water couorsebuil...

A tip for your photo album online. Try this: It's easy to navigate - I was
able to use
and it's Free!
http://community.webshots.com

Good Luck!

Nedra

"Lostin1999" wrote in message

"Bonnie" wrote in message
Lostin1999 wrote:
"Mary kate" wrote in message

I'm new here also and I'm also new at ponding. I know how frustrating
it is to need answers and not get any......perhaps were on our own

until
we reach (their) levels in ponding. I've found several good
books.......at least with reading books there's no ( how many PORG'S
does it take to get ONE question answered) problems..LOL Wish I could
answer your questions { because I would ...there important to you }
hang in there...you still have a love for ponding, you just have to

find
another means for getting your questions answered :-) A BOOK

yeah ive been reading Pond and water garden book's for a few years

(ever
since the idea first came to me to have a pond (well before the

current
"FAD" of ponding)) ive read from Charlie Dimmock to RHS (Royal

Horticultural
Society).

for the feature it appears I can use what I like as long as it has a

liner
over it.. so the water feature is pretty much sorted (yet to be

built,
but
plans are afoot!!)

cannot get any answers on the Sterlets, (but I have learned not to

call
then
Sturgeon (they are too young)) but im assuming it may be I have 2

males
and
they are seeking females (the smaller one of the trio at only 8" long

will
not be up to maturity for another year..

brings me onto why I got sterlets.. I was told they ate Blanket weed
(string algae to this newsgroup) so promptly bought 4.. (lost one

when
was sorting a pump blockage and accidentally dropped pump into water

right
on top of it.. (alas poor fish)) funny how easy some retailers find

it
lie to get a sale (that said I love em now!!)

was sorting out a slow flow through my UV filter yesterday and managed

drop it in the pond.. (so had to reset the main fuse in the house and

my UV
may be dead.. (oops) just glad it didn't hit any fish and that the

fuse
was faster to act than the electric was to kill any fish!! (im very

lucky
so far)

not putting a uv on new pond (yet) as I need the filter (all new bio

media)
to fill with the good bacteria.. using alfagrog now (was on them

plastic
things provided with a hoselock box,) but feel new pond will need more

than
that. and read loads of good reviews of the Alfagrog stuff. so all

is
going well..

as this is my first ornamental pond im being VERY careful..

Lost

Hi,

I do know who Charlie Dimmock is and do appreciate her work.
The reason many of your questions weren't answered is that
we don't know the answers. Many of your terms are unknown
to us in the USA. I know nothing of sturgeon nor sterlets,
nor hoselock box, or alfagrog. We need a translator!

--
Bonnie
NJ

Sterlets more info at
http://www.aquariacentral.com/fishinfo/cold/sterlet.htm

Hoselock box is a filter box made by hozelock but has now been modified...
http://www.watergardeningdirect.com/...OuterFrame.htm
mines the 9000 but as i say it has all new internals...

Alfagrog = a ceramic Lavarock style filter biomedia (and ill be adding a
veggie filter (having only learned of them here) soon)

http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/Brad...ct-1031277.stm

so to recap, ive got an old hoselock filter box that i have removed the
plastic biomedia from and changed it for the alfagrog, at the moment the
flow is a wee bit high, but the spitters are yet to arrive and the geggie
filter will also be needing some of the flow

id love to put up some pictures, but at present dont have a clue about
making interwebby sites (well maybe a clue but thats all) might try and

put
some in a yahoo photo album! its still a work in progress, but as i have
learned in my time ponding, its always a work in progress.. lol

Lost