Old 24-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Dustin

Default Norris pleads guilty

Thats what I do for a living.

Dustin

That is not strictly true. One can (and many do) take cuttings of corals
and grow them up so to speak. Many aquaculture operations are sprouting
up (pun intended) that do this commercially. All Scleractinia (aka corals)
are CITES appendix II. I agree with your point though. CITES is about
trade in plants and animals that threatens their existence. Practices that
allow trade while protecting their existence (e.g. by lessening the demand
for wild collected specimens) is to be encouraged and not ignored or
lumped together with all other types of trade.

I make my point about corals to dispel the notion that no types of
animals can be propagated in the fashion you mention.

Dave