Old 25-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Go Fig

Default Mechanical filtration

In article , joe
wrote:

Lately, as I've been sitting looking at my pond, I've noticed a lot of
little, itsy bitsy, teeny weenie, particles floating by. Many times I'm sure
I've seen the same particle twice in an hour. So I'm thinking perhaps some
form of mechanical filtration will help - like a vortex filter or some such
thing, that will help remove the small solids.

I have zero experience with such an animal and so am looking for advice. I
currently have a 4,000-5,000 gallon pond with a skimmer that feeds a bio
type falls. While I do not have what I would call a veggie filter
specifically designed for that purpose, as the water gets to my main pond it
does have to slug through several areas that have considerable vegetative
matter.

Any help would be appreciated.

For mechanical filtration at this many gallons, I would use 1 Sand
Filter w/ 500 lbs of #16 silica sand. It will require 1 1/2" lines, 1
HP pump as a minimum. Add a UV to cut down on some of the burden on
the filter... your water will sparkle.

jay
Thu Jun 24, 2004

Thanks