Old 25-06-2004, 03:05 PM
Beckenbach, Jay

Default [IBC] slabs

Yep and it works well too. Too well. The break you get with that type of
tool is very vertical, suitable for laying floor tile. If the vertical edge
is what you want, then get this tool. If you wish the tapered, split slab
look then root around in your tool box for anything with jaws, pad them and
twist the edges off the slate. With slate, the edges come off in layers at
the area of the jaws. Don't forget the safety goggles with either type of
tool. Pipe wrenches are very common and the angle of the jaws makes the
twisting much easier than a straight wrench. But a straight wrench will
work.

By the way, the tool Jim is talking about makes a good , cheap trunk
splitter with a little creative grinding on the jaws and the stop. You can
even use it to make a root cutter with slightly different jaw grinding if
you need a big one. Have fun - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -