Old 25-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Anonny Moose

Default Eco-lawn Experience?

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message
news:_VWCc.92393$2i5.17600@attbi_s52...

"GaryM" wrote in message
. 3.44...
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this product know
as eco lawn?

http://www.wildflowerfarm.com/Mercha...egory_Code =E

My Scotts book tells me to ignore such "gimmicks", but they would,
wouldn't they?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

In the naturally ecologically-conscious PNW, these types of lawns have
become very popular. They reduce the need for mowing and have much lower
requirements for both water and fertilizer than do traditional turf

lawns -
none of that nasty weed 'n feed stuff needed!!

Personally, I think they look best when used in small doses - a large
expanse of eco-lawn (or eco-turf, as it is called here) looks very much

like
a large patch of weeds or a lawn taken over by weeds, unless you are going
for the meadow look. And they do not look great in winter - most of the
wildflowers that comprise the seed mix are herbaceous and disappear in

cold
weather, to emerge again in spring. Probably not the ideal solution for a
sweeping expanse of front lawn (kind of a perpetually messy look), but

good
for a pocket planting surrounded by other plants and shrubs or for the
aforementioned meadow-type lawn area in a backyard.

pam - gardengal

But I don't think the product Gary mentions is the same as the eco-lawns
promoted in the PNW. This product is a blend of fescues rather than the
blend of grasses and low growing flowers found in other products. The claims
for it are pretty fantastic. If true, I'd love to have this in my yard. I
wonder how it holds up to dogs?
Karen