Old 25-06-2004, 08:16 PM
Bill R

Default Growing Garlic

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
I have started to use a lot of garlic in my cooking (thanks to Emeril Live).
How is it grown? Can you start it from a clove you get at the store? When
is the best time to plant and harvest? I live in North Central Maryland
Zone 6. I also saw on a program that you can harvest a little of the green
part and use it also although it is not nearly as strong as the cloves.

Paul,

I have been growing garlic for over 30 years and it is VERY
easy to grow. Yes, you can use the cloves that you get in
the store.

In my area (we have fairly cold winters) is best to plant it
in the fall and let it "winter over" and it will be ready to
harvest in June (I just dug some from my garden yesterday).
You can also plant it in the early spring and it will be
ready a little latter (depending on what zone you are in).

If you have kids (or grand kids), let them help you plant it
and then when it is harvested use it on a food that they
like. This helps them appreciate growing things and they
can brag that "I grew that".
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850