Old 25-06-2004, 08:27 PM
RoyDMercer

Default Stupid water pressure question

wrote in message
I have well water, and my pressure is pretty pathetic.

When I was pricing out an irrigation system last year, I also had to
include the cost of upgrading my well pump and tank.
However, the plumber explained to me that these upgrades didn't have
anything to do with *pressure*. They were required so that the pump
would run longer, instead of lots of cycling off and on, which would
wear it out the pump.

I tested my gpm at an outdoor faucet: 5 gpm! Terrible.

My problem is, I want to get more radius out of my traveling sprinkler
(haven't commited to the cost of irrigation yet).

So I'm confused about pressure versus flow rate.
Will using a larger diameter hose do anything for me?

I don't think a larger diameter hose would do much for your situation. One
thing you might consider is buying a separate pump for your irrigation
system. Assuming your well could support two submerged pumps, you could buy
a separate pump for your irrigation system and drop it down the same well
hole. I have a rain bird controller and it has a provision for turning on
an irrigation pump right before the system cycles on. For this setup, I
wouldn't think you would need a separate pressure tank. The irrigation pump
should be able to feed the irrigation system directly since it will be on
while the irrigation system is running, but you would probably need a
filter.