Old 26-06-2004, 12:33 AM
D Russell

Default Passion Flower - to prune or not to prune

"Justin Hughes" wrote in message
om...
I recently bought a Passion flower plant which is currently going
great guns up my fence and onto some trellis. The thing is it only
seems to have two very long 'branches', which eminate from the base. I
primarily bought it to create some privacy from next door, but without
any side shoots it's not going to provide much. There is no obvious
sign of side shoots, or where they might grow from.

My question is, if I cut the growing ends off of the current branches
will this promote side shoots, or will I just stop any growth it has?

Justin

Whenever I trim back the growing tips of my passion flower seedlings they
always seem to stop growing for a couple of weeks and then just start off
again where they left off. Tip pinching just doesn't seem to encourage
branching in this case. Of course with the parent plant it's a different
matter, that's now so big that if I don't trim it back at least once a year
it'll simpl ypull itself and it's trellis off the wall.
Duncan