Old 26-06-2004, 02:03 AM
Bill Oliver

Default New guy

In article . net,
Alan Connor wrote:

I don't know who you've been talking to, but once this civilization breaks
down, you are going to have to worry about things like food and shelter
and heat and light and water and clothing and soap and utensils and tools.

Which is why I've settled near a Wal-Mart that delivers!

If your idea of defense is to have some guns around and try to shoot anyone
that attacks you, then you just aren't going to last long.

Yeah, those Pizza Hut delivery guys get fiesty when you tip them with
live rounds.

You'll have a LOT of work to do, and IF the bandits can locate your place,
they aren't going to stand at the top of a nearby ridge and yell a
challenge to you.

They are going to shoot you in the back from 150 yards away while you are
chopping wood or carrying water and that's the end of that.

Or set booby-traps along the trails you frequent.

And they won't stop until you buy some of their goddam cookies,
the little brown-skirted bitches.

The Viet Cong basically defeated the Americans with sniping and booby-
traps....

That and having an enemy who refused to fight an offensive war and
set a strategy based on not winning.

Forget about the guns. That approach only works in the movies and sometimes,
in the short run, for large, organized communities that are wealthy enough
to have a standing army of one kind or another.

Yes, don't fight back! Catch the bullet with your teeth and spit it out
like a real man.

With nothing to steal, and no fight, they won't hang around for long,
and if you don't seriously hurt any of them, they won't have vengeance
as an excuse to return.

That's why homeless guys never get mugged!

No ordinary group of people with guns can expect to be able to
make a living after the collapse and defend themselves from armed
and experienced bandits or large bands of desperate refugees, with
those guns.

Ah. I see. Ordinary guys with guns can't hold a candle to
*starving* ordinary guys with guns.

Those that adopt this strategy are not likely to live for long,
and the time they do have will not be very pleasant.

I've stocked up on Folinari Merlot, and am ready for the end
of time!

billo (who managed to survive the 2K collapse by only having
to kill 30 or 40 rampaging bandidts)