Old 26-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Anita Hawkins

Default [IBC] Maple seedlings

I have some maple seedlings that have grown nicely..until about last week.
The first set of leaves are extremely moist and fragile.

Dan - by "first set of leaves" do you mean the fist set
which emerged from the soil? If so, these "seedling leaves"
generally yellow and dry up during the first summer, no
cause for concern. If you mean the newest smallest set of
laves, yes it is cause for concern. They're either wilting
from moisture loss (perhaps wind, as you said, in which
case... put them somewhere protected from wind! or build a
little wall of bricks beside them), or because of a fungal
infection in the roots/soil. If the second, as Jim and Billy
suggested, not much to be done but keep them on the dryish
side and hope. Most commercially available fungicides for
the consumer are of little use against root rot. If they
die, discard plants and soil (trash, not compost) and
sanitize the pots before reusing.

Anita
--
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
"I am not bound for any public place, but for ground of my

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++