Old 26-06-2004, 03:14 AM
Brian

Default Propagating conifers

"Ivan" wrote in message
Has anyone ever successfully rooted coniferous branches by layering them?

have three excellent pine specimens. Each of them need to have their

bottom
branches pruned. The trees are about 8 feet tall. If I'm going to prune
them anyway I'm wondering if I should try layering them.
Ivan in the Canadian Prairies.

I have never heard of layering to propagate conifers. Seeds are easy
enough though some dislike transplanting.
Named varieties are propagated by grafting or cuttings. Metasequoia and
Leyland must be propagated by cuttings as there are no seeds available.
Sorry not to be more helpful.
Brian 'flayb' to respond.