Old 26-06-2004, 04:02 AM
simy1

Default Growing Garlic

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message ...
I have started to use a lot of garlic in my cooking (thanks to Emeril Live).
How is it grown? Can you start it from a clove you get at the store? When
is the best time to plant and harvest? I live in North Central Maryland
Zone 6. I also saw on a program that you can harves a little of the green
part and use it also although it is not nearly as strong as the cloves.

I concur that garlic is amonst the easiest to grow veggies. It is pH
tolerant, tolerant of poor soil, and overwinters easily in Zone 6.
some tips:

1) your main crop will be planed in october for harvest in July.
2) despite advice from the other posters, hardneck garlic (not to be
found in store) is the superior choice for the home gardener. Bigger,
easier to peel, hardier, and much tastier. I got mine from Territorial
Seeds.