Old 26-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Mark Fawcett

Default Saffron

Victoria Clare wrote in message .240.10...
The Reids wrote in
:

Anybody tried growing it? Is the crocus available? I use a fair
amount of saffron so was considering a row on the allotment.

I tried growing it when I was in Cheshire - found it difficult to get it to
flower again after the first year - first year OK, second year, only one
flower, third year, leaves....

It may be that it didn't get on with my heavy clay soil, or that it should
have been in a south facing rather than east-facing bed.

It is definitely not the easiest crocus - several other crocuses thrived
in similar conditions.

Victoria

Ive been told by a lady who grew it (almost) commercially that it
requires a cold winter to flower properly, plus I think the soil she
grew it on was also fairly well drained so your point about the clay
soil may also be pertinent.

Mark