Old 26-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Dave Poole

Default Need some callistemon advice

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:30:49 +0000 (UTC), GR
wrote:

Last year we bought a callistemon splendens, and it seems to be
growing nicely (full sun, south-facing wall), but according to the
books it should have flowered in early spring - and we've seen nowt.

With luck you have bought Callistemon citrinus 'Splendens', since
there is no splendens as a straight species. It is medium to large
shrub with large spikes of very showy, brilliant scarlet flowers - the
brightest and most vivid of any Callistemon. Mine has been in flower
for the past 3 weeks and early summer (not early spring) is the
correct flowering time for this variety, in this country. To check
whether you have the right plant, wait until the shoots are starting
to expand. New growths will be coppery-pink coloured and covered with
silky hairs. The leaves for this plant can grow up to 10cms. long and
2cms. across - possibly the largest of the Callistemons.

Does callistemon take a few years before it starts flowering? Over the
last couple of weeks it's started developing buds all over its stems,
but we don't know if they're the start of the flowers or just more
shoots.

After planting, Callistemons can be a bit late to commence growing
following the first winter - especially young plants that have been
tunnel-grown in the nursery. C. citrinus 'Splendens' is not the
hardiest of the genus and needs a warm, sunny wall to do really well.
Given that and a free draining soil, it should provide you with a riot
of colour every year. I've had 1 year rooted cuttings flower before
now, so they don't need to be established or of any age in order to
flower.

All Callistemons flower on shoots produced in the previous year and
the large buds at the very tips of those shoots produce the flowers.
If these are damaged by frost or cut off by pruning at the wrong time,
the flowers will be lost for that year. Any pruning should be carried
out immediately after the flowers have faded. I usually cut away the
old flower heads together with a few inches of stem. This method
forces the production of 3 or 4 good strong shoots, each of which will
flower the following year.

HTH
Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK