Old 26-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Just Molly

Default Tree butchery of significant trees

"Peter Coddington" wrote in message

"TQPL" wrote in message
Hi Group,

Where I live there seems to be an obsession about
cutting down trees either by property developers
or by people who have big trees in their garden.
The local Oak trees and Pines have been suffering
a massacre. I am talking about big trees, many of
over 100 years old.
Once they have gone they have gone.

Some have TPO's on them but the fines or abuse
does not seem to stop the chainsaws or tree
sugeons. Reporting them to the local council
authorities seems to have little effect.

Is there a website around where I can post pics of
the destruction.
A sort of public shaming.
Perhaps publish the house addresses and plea for
people to write letters to the offenders.

I am sure it a widespread problem in many areas.
Alan (inUK)

If there is no TPO, surely there are occasions where removal of large

trees
can be justified.

As much as I love trees, sometimes they simply need to be removed. Like the
2 huge and very old whores chestnut trees planted no more than 30 feet apart
and only 40 feet from my little cottage some 60 odd years ago.
I had them taken down and planted a rowan in their place . It is nice to be
able to plant things underneath where they used to be as it is not longer in
deep shade, nor do I have to spend the summer pulling out litle concker
treelets where they sprouted. Had they been situated elsewhere on my land I
would have left them be. Turns out that one was potentially dangerous as it
had rotted right down the centre. When the tree surgeon cut with his chain
saw, a spray of dirty smelly water shot out all over him. A couple more
years and my big tree may well have come down and killed someone! There was
no external sign that this centre rot had occurred.
I *do* believe that wherever possible a more suitable tree should be planted
in its place .