Old 26-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default My posting the picture of Rose on the newsgroup

The message
from contains these words:

"Vox Humana" wrote:
Make me wonder how people can be abusive or simply get rid of a dog because
it doesn't fit their lifestyle.

well... Tonight Harry our 1+ year old springer and Sims my 7+ year old
Pap got into a
fight and we had to take Sims to emergency to make sure none of the
wounds needed
stitches (none did). This is the second time Harry has nailed Sims
and on the way
home we decided Harry needs a new home as the next time we are
unlikely to get this
lucky. Sims is undoubtedly "in your face" but the fact is, he was
here first and big
dogs are always wrong just because of size.

We had that problem, when a normally goodnatured male youngster pup
reached puberty and adult-size/strength, and twice attacked our smaller,
weaker older male with serious intent. There's another solution.

Dogs are pack animals, so have a social pecking order. When a male pup
moves into a household he accepts his role as lowest-status dog, and
accepts an older male as his superior. At one year old Harry is maturing
sexually and male hormones cause him to challenge the status quo, and
try to establish himself as top male. Have the young dog castrated, and
the dominance-assertion behaviour will fade away as his testosterone
level drops. The older, entire dog will retain his top-dog status
unchallenged, even though he's smaller, and peace will result.

That was the advice our vet gave us in the same situation, and it
worked. The aggressive dominance by the young dog stopped. He did not
become fat, lethargic or dull..those are old wives tales.. and remained
boundingly healthy, athletic, energetic, and a wonderful companion until
he died of old age at 16.

Janet.