Old 26-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Martin Heames

Default Advice On Gardening

"Rotax100uk" wrote in message
s.com...
I am now starting my own gardening business at the age of 20 and i would
like to know if anyone here has any advice which you think i should
need.

I have my own van and gardening equipment, petrol machines, and hand
tools etc but i lack in experience that a "gardener" would have, so i
have been taking on work which is just to gain experience like grass
cutting, hedge trimming and weeding.

I have been taking on work which at the moment is with retired women
who cant look after their own gardens, i have been to price jobs with
trouble as to how long a job will take me to complete. I have been
charging £10 per hour which most of the retired people are having
trouble with because of there pensions.

My recent problem is that i am not charging enough to cover for petrol
for my equipment, dumping rubbish and travelling to and from clients
house.

As you can see what problem i am faced with, i was just wondering if
anyone hear can advice me what to do with my pricing?

I feel as if i am charging people a high rate of £10 per hour, but i am
not getting any profit out of this when i have bought petrol, travelled
to clients house and dumped rubbish which there is alot of.

Please can somebody help or have any of you people on hear and been in
the same situation and want to help me out?
--
Rotax100uk
Rotax100uk

Ten pound an Hour is a good rate to earn if you are just beginning Just try
and control your costs.
I never give my customers an hourly price I give them a "job and finish"
price. for example if I look at an average garden and estimate it will take
me about an 1.5 hours (based on 10 pounds an hour the price would be 15
pounds) Doing the garden regular and working out the best routine for that
garden you will find that you will reduce the time spent at the garden but
still get the same price even better if you had a helper the task should
take half the time but yet again still earn the same price.

At my peak myself and four fellow gardeners walked away from a garden in 6
minutes flat and the standards was still maintained. Talking of standards of
work this is where your key is to more work. I would rather lose an hours
pay than leave a job at a sub standard level.

If you don't have a blower get one, they always impress the customers and
you can blow any drive in minutes. beats a brush hands down. Clean up at the
end of the job is always as important as the job. You can cut the best hedge
in the world but if you leave a mess the job is wasted.

Regarding waste tell your customers you charge extra for taking the grass
clippings away you will be suprised how many of them find a little corner
for you to put it in

I could go on but my wife is trying to dress me for a wedding .

Good luck with your venture learn as much as you can and keep your standards
high.

Best wishes
Martin Heames
www.thegardenspider.com
("thegardenspider.com" something I am playing with any advice or suggestions
most welcome)