Old 26-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Emrys Davies

Default New Border!

I hope that you have got a spade, which is a gardener's main tool. You
cannot do without it. It enables you to doubledig, slice, break-up and
remove soil, whereas the fork has considerable limits in its use. In
fact the fork is rarely used in the garden for digging purposes.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Les &/or Claire" wrote in message
Hi All,
Bored with container and grow bag gardening we asked the
landord for permission to dig a border in the back lawn. This granted,

we
have now cut the turf away to reveal a patch of sandy, dark soil that

seems
typical here in Folkestone. The border has a 8' wall behind it and

faces SW,
but has a four storey building 30' away to the SW and is open ( except

for a
low, sheltering 4' wall ) either side. Almost a "sunken" garden in

effect.
Today, we're off to buy a fork to dig it over, remove any

stones
and perhaps buy one of those huge bags of multi purpose compost from
Homebase to improve the soil quality as I don't think it's been

touched
since the war.
The question is, what to grow? Considering the time of

year,
position etc. Plus, it has to be from seed. At some point we will move

on
and I don't want to invest large sums of money on something we will

leave
behind eventually.
You'll glean something of our interests from earlier posts.

Giant
echiums, pawlonia tormentosa, vegetables, exotic or exotic looking

plants.
Oddities, tropical, edible, the strange or just downright huge.
Any ideas anyone?

anyway, time to buy a fork...........

les ) ( happy to be a gardener again.......)

--
http://www.stuffmongers.com

"Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission
natural selection, the force that made us.... Soon we must look deep

within
ourselves and decide what we wish to become."
Edward O. Wilson
Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge

Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG