Old 26-06-2004, 04:05 PM
J Fortuna

Default A lesson in moving orchids

Johnny,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Yes, cars and spikes definitely do not go together well. I once broke a
spike because I had briefly placed the pot on the car seat to try to grab
something else, and the pot fell over and the spike broke. :-(

However, it works better if there are at least two people in the car, that
way one person can be designated to pay full attention to the plant. When
you have two people, when entering or exiting the car, one person can be
seated and the other standing outside, and they can pass the plant between
them. I have found that this helps.

Hope that you have lots of other orchids to keep your mind from lingering
too long on this broken spike.

Joanna

"J X M" wrote in message
ail.com...
I learned a very important lesson yesterday. I was moving an Oncidium full

of
buds from work to home last evening and brought it all the way home. For

those
few seconds when I was more interested in getting stuff out of the car, I

forgot
all about the spike... lifted the pot and heard a snap. I can't believe I

did
that to the plant. And after watching the thing grow for SO long.

Had anyone else done that to one of my plants... I would have had a great
argument with them... but it turns out that I did it myself. All I can say

is,
it sucks... So what did I learn? Don't ever move an orchid unless you are

paying
full attention and if it has spikes, think a few times, before so much as

taking
it anywhere near an automobile.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait and see if it will spike again.

Johnny McIntyre