Old 26-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Kay

Default Tree butchery of significant trees

In article , Rod rodcraddoc
writes

Yes, I didn't enlarge but if I had I would have said that these trees
being butchered are probably very significant in the minds of the
locals and may be of some amenity value but in terms of the ecology of
the area they are probably not desperately important - what's needed
for that is large scale planting of native trees with a substantial
understory and areas of grasses and herbs. These need to be connected
by good 'corridors' of vegetation with other similar areas.Given the
aversion of Joe Public to rough vegetation and his/her fear of dense
woodland on the doorstep, this is going to be difficult to get past
local politicians and planners without a big education drive.

We look after a 'nature park' - disused mill ponds and derelict ground
where buildings have been demolished, which over the years has been
planted with native species and is now showing the benefits - we even
have a kingfisher. We have full support of the Council (Leeds) who own
the land, but we have had strange comments along the way from the
brigade who feel it should all be short grass and well weeded flower
beds.

But equally we have people who look at the waste deep fools parsley and
say dreamily 'this is just how I remember it when I was a child'

We're having an Open Day in a couple of weeks, with various exhibitions,
pond dipping and so on, to help about all the hidden bits (seed heads,
invertebrates) that need to be in place to support the pretty birds and
butterflies that they appreciate ;-)

Last year's Open Day was a success, with the baby newts and the leeches
the undoubted stars of the show.

Some of our success is undoubtedly that we have a good 'wildlife
corridor' in the shape of the old railway line, which links us to the
woods around Esholt (aka Emmerdale).

And while I think of our 'back garden' types - we were at Tangy Mill in
Kintyre last week - a lovely setting with the banks of the stream
flanked by red campion, water avens, yellow flags, vetches, trefoil,
lady smock, to name just a few. I was saddened to see a comment in the
log book about how 'sad' it was not to be able to get right to the
stream, and how the banks should be mowed.

--
Kay