Old 26-06-2004, 11:06 PM
profpam

Default A lesson in moving orchids

Mick,

I very much agree. I transported a five foot Aranda to the last society
meeting and no one really looked at it as it was so tall, and I lost a couple
of the flowers -- glad I did not hybridize the blooms. And, even with cotton
packing you may still lose a few flowers as it is easy to bump a tall one when
placing it into the car. And, sometimes the late-comers to society meetings
will take and push the ones on the table to the back (and they are only
flowers but I have to grin when I see it) so that they can set theirs in
front, and if there are a lot of blooms as in the case of some intricately
twined Mormodes peruviana then they are dust. But, then again, I, however,
have lost a few Zygopetalum spikes just tying them as the stems are often soft
and am guilty of doing other accidental damage to my own. So, bad things
happen.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profppam/page3.html

Mick Fournier wrote:

JXM,

It wasn't an accident. They all break when you put a blooming orchid in a
car. The orchid that makes it out of the car at the end of the journey
still in perfect condition is the exception to the rule... not the rule.

Mick