Old 26-06-2004, 11:19 PM
Sacha

Default what are your garden pet hates?

On 26/6/04 20:26, in article ,
"Peter" wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:20:45 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 26/6/04 4:46, in article
,
"Dave Poole" wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:56:44 +0100, Kay
wrote:

I don't think I think 'how awful' or 'naff' or 'are they colour blind'
- it's just that that style of gardening leaves me cold.

Snip

Forsythia, bizzy lizzies, annual salvias, Calceolarias, 'cute' garden
ornaments, ditto the Chrysanths and EE glads, (though I have a fondness for
some Dahlias) Cupressus leylandii, not mad about marigolds, monkey puzzle
trees.

Please do not be too hard on Leylandii! Cut off the trunk about 18
inches shorter than the final height required, then cut twice a
year. This gives a pretty good hedge quickly.

The Leylandii problem is largely one of the owners, not the plants.

Peter.

I wouldn't like to count the number of times leylandii as pest have appeared
on this group - that is leylandii whose owners once planted and controlled
them and *then* sold them to new owners who did neither who then either made
their neighbours life a misery or sold them on to some other poor wretch to
deal with. C. leylandii ARE a pest, in my view, because they are not
appropriate to much of their suburban use and all too frequently are left to
their own devices - e.g. 100' trees.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds after garden to email me)