Old 27-06-2004, 12:09 AM
shazzbat

Default Advice On Gardening

"Dermuid" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message
:
: "Dermuid" wrote in message
: news:9SmDc.846$_R3.700@newsfe5-win...
:
: "shazzbat" wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : By the way, you are a registered waste carrier I take it?
: : Steve
: :
: :
:
: We are talking about non hazardous plain old garden waste here which
: anyone
: can take to a landfill or refuse station, no licence required.
:
:
: Wrong.
:
: Whilst a person can take their own waste to the landfill site, a person
who
: removes waste by way of business, whether it be hazardous or not, needs

: be a registered waste carrier in accordance with the environmental
: protection act 1990. Also the carrier must complete a controlled waste
: transfer note, and both the holder and the carrier must retain their
copies
: for three years. Once you are charging, either directly or as part of

the
: overall charge, it becomes controlled waste according to the above act.

If
: the carrier is not registered, the holder of the waste, in this case the
: householder, can be fined UKP2000, and the carrier can be fined UKP2000
plus
: confiscation of their vehicle. These penalties may have been updated

since
: last looked them up.
:

Well it would appear that the landfill I went to were not doing their job
then, not once was I asked if I was registered to carry waste, cash or
account, yes, maybe they thought it was my own waste

Very probably. If you go with a car and trailer there won't be a problem,
they assume you're a householder dumping your own stuff. If you turn up in a
van/pickup,they start to get sniffy, especially if it's a site run by
contractors as opposed to staffed by council employees. And of course you
could say it was from your own garden even if it was trade and you'd
probably get away with it, but on the 577th visit they're definitely going
to be suspicious. Most sites I have seen have signs saying "no trade waste"
Then it's off to the commercial waste site to pay the steep charges plus
landfill tax. Of course like all "environmental" legislation, this has done
the environment more harm than good, since the cowboys are now more inclined
to "fly tip" than before, but they're not going to let that put them off.

Steve