Old 27-06-2004, 03:04 AM
Vox Humana

Default purple coneflowers?

"escapee" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 13:42:32 -0400, Judy Cosler
opined:

2 questions:
1. something has eaten the petals off some of my coneflowers. a
squirrel or ????

2. is there any thing i can feed them to make them more purple. they
are really PINK! do they react to the ph level the way some
hydrangeas do??

((.)) '))
((((((((
))(/)((

There are several new varieties of echinacea now, one of which is a rather

pale
purple to pink. I have several of them. They cannot change color. I

have a
very large stand of them in many places on my property and two years ago

the
grasshoppers got them bad. I started using Nosema locustae aka Nolo Bait

(a
biological control for grasshoppers) and I have not seen more than a dozen
hoppers on the property.

Victoria

The Japanese beetles have emerged here (Cincinnati) and are eating my
echinacea and calla lilies. I guess I will add them to list of pest to pick
off. The cicadas are history except for the damage they left behind. The
rains are gone and the slugs have disappeared. My brugmansia started to
bloom this week and I thought of you.