Old 27-06-2004, 06:03 AM
lalu

Default Kitty Litter destroys String Algae

Just a note:

Cowboy Mining no longer sells 50lb, $38 for 10 lb + shipping

Laguna no longer does direct sales

Called them both today!

Thus I can't find a supplier other than Koi Clay dealer$

gerry

I am surprised about Laguna Clay not selling direct now. I just
ordered mine directly from their california facility about a month ago
with no problem. In fact it was on my front doorstep 3 days after I
called them. And their customer service people were very helpful. Of
course things do change. They have a website: www.lagunaclay.com
that lists local distributors of their products by state. Perhaps you
could order it from one of their distributors. Or email them for
information about where/how to get it.

Of course you would have to ask for bentonite clay and not koi clay
since they are pottery suppliers and didnt know what I was talking
about. They have several types of b.clay. I got the finest grade
but next time would get a slightly less fine type that would be
cheaper. I got 'hpm-20' but would get '325 mesh' next time. Still
very very fine but cheaper and easier to suspend. I have to sprinkle
it over water thru a sieve to prevent it from clumping, and wisk it
at the same time -- just like adding flour to water to prevent lumpy
gravey, LOL. Or carefully use a blender (add the clay slowly to the
water as the blender runs).

'hpm-20' is $8.07 for 10 pounds plus handling and shipping. (20 pounds
was under $30 to my door) '325 mesh' bentonite is $3.59 for 10 pounds
plus shipping and handling. I dont know how much it would be thru one
of their distributors. These are current (2004) catalog prices. I do
not know what the mineral breakdown of this product is, but I have
been using it (hpm-20) in my pond for a month and am very pleased.

I just put some into my pond today. Lalu