Old 27-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Theo

Default [IBC] Maple seedlings

Dan Voicu wrote:

I have some maple seedlings that have grown nicely..until about last week.
The first set of leaves are extremely moist and fragile. They arent dried,
but they seem to be dying. When I touch them, especially the tips, they're
very "wet" and arent firm and dry as with healthy leaves. I put them in
the morning sun yesterday and today, with no improvement. Are the leaves
like this because of the wind? Here in Toronto, its very windy. I'm trying
not to risk putting them out in full sun..as they might dry out. Any ideas?

Hi I have about 20 seedlings of palmatum born this year
some are at tehir 3d.4 th pair of leaves 5-6 " tall
I keep them in half shade
tose one in full sun are less stron and still with two pair od first
leaves
I will keep them as such until next spring
as I need to develope as much as possible the root system

when repotting next spring before buds opens I will just cut off the
tap root
and no one else ... and let it freely grow for few years in a growing
pot or ground if you have ( I live in an apt)

The wind is drying the soili and the leaves tips easily , this is why
is better to keep them in a sheltered place..
I live in zone 8

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4

L'Umiltą č la Peggiore delle Presunzioni
(la Rochefoucauld)