Old 27-06-2004, 07:04 AM
Srgnt Bilko

Default Stupid water pressure question

wrote in message
I have well water, and my pressure is pretty pathetic.

When I was pricing out an irrigation system last year, I also had to
include the cost of upgrading my well pump and tank.
However, the plumber explained to me that these upgrades didn't have
anything to do with *pressure*. They were required so that the pump
would run longer, instead of lots of cycling off and on, which would
wear it out the pump.

I tested my gpm at an outdoor faucet: 5 gpm! Terrible.

My problem is, I want to get more radius out of my traveling sprinkler
(haven't commited to the cost of irrigation yet).

So I'm confused about pressure versus flow rate.
Will using a larger diameter hose do anything for me?

Get a better plumber.

What kind of well - artisian ? - driven ? - deep or shallow?

Based on his "run longer instead of cycle" I would *guess* your present
tank is "water logged" - therefore requiring less volume of water to get the
pressure up from the turn on point to the turn off point. If so you might
be able to pump air into the tank (not always the case)

What shape is your pressure switch (electrical) in ? What is it set at ?
(most are adjustable)

You probably cannot get a second pump in your deep well.

Yes - larger diameter hose will help (a little)