Old 27-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Srgnt Bilko

Default Riding Lawn Tractor

For personal use / half acre lawn I would think any $1500 tractor would do -
especially if the machine will be kept clean (under deck) and kept inside.
The regular MTD, Murray, Craftsman decks won't take the abuse that the
heavier duty machines will take, but if you take care of them they will be
fine. New machine - you shouldn't have to worry much about parts. Most
machines only need spark plugs, blades sharpened or replaced, and eventually
maybe a new belt. Those things are readily available in most places. If by
chance, a part does break or get lost, I don't think Sears is any worse than
the small equipment shops - nobody stocks many parts today - everybody has
to order it for you.

Sounds like you would be a light duty user - I do heavier stuff - more like
brush hogging, snowblowing, snow plowing, garden plowing, pulling a 5 x 8
landscape trailer, etc - so I like to tinker with the old (70's) heavy
tractors (Wheelhorse, Cub Cadet, John Deere & Sears). I need a few cause I
have 2 places 8 miles apart, do volunteer mowing at a couple cemeteries & a
church property, as well as the gardening.

"Dave" wrote in message
newsKXAc.4742$7d2.1564@clgrps13...
Now are you guys talking US currency or CDN?

I bought a Craftsman from Sears (Canada) 2 years ago. 21 hp, 42". Regular
$3200 CDN, got it on sale for $2500.
The following year I added a grass catcher which works great also for
vacumming up leaves in the fall.
Has run great, no problems.
On it's first oil change I went to a partial synthetic oil.

Now, on my 03 Harley Davidson Softail, I went to full Harley Davidson
Synthetic. They say the engine runs about 15 degrees cooler with

synthetic.

Dave
"CJ" wrote in message

At $1700 a good machine is the Husqvarna LTH2042. This is the tractor I
bought this year after much shopping. Powered by a 20hp Kohler direct

lube,
cast front axle, big fat rear tires. I think It's a fantastic tractor.
I've been hauling heaping cartfuls of firewood around with no power
problems. Mower deck can take a beating as well.
I would strongly advise that whatever you get you go to a local

equipment
shop. Sears cannot provide the personal service or technical know-how

and
many times cannot easily provide parts. Your local small-engine outfit

will
keep your machine running long with none of the hassle of Sears. My

shop
will pick up and deliver equipment around town for free with a 15 dollar
minimum charge. This would probably be very helpful for someone

disabled.
You probably have a Deere, Husqy, Airens, etc. dealer nearby that can
provide you with the same quality service. Believe me, the extra

hundred
or
two you might spend at a Mom-and-Pop will more than pay for itself.
cj

"Dave R" wrote in message
I am new to this group so I don't know if this subject has been

covered.
would like some opinions on which riding lawn mowers are best for

around
$1500. We've been looking on the net at Sears and Lowes and I'm kinda

of
going towards Sears. We live in the east and our yard is only about

1/2
acre. I'm disabled so the old push mower must go. Any information

would
be
helpful. Thanks.