Old 27-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Don

Default Cucumbers and Gherkins

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
How do you know when cucmbers and gherkins have finished growing and are
ready to pick?

With both if you leave them too long they grow big and bitter. They can
still be eaten but you will have to peel the skins off.

When to pick is a matter of taste. Personally I pick cucumbers when about
nine/ten inches long and gherkins about four. I am estimating length as I
don't measure them.

Again, I know that with courgettes you can pick them once they achieve a
minimum size, or let them grow on and they will keep increasing in size.
Does the same apply (within reason) to gherkins and cucumbers?

Yes courgettes just grow and grow and make good marrow jam if big enough.
Best for the plate at about seven or eight inches.

Sorry its inches and not centimetres - never good the hand of new money
length.

regards
Don