Old 27-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Rod

Default Help with cauliflower killers please

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 10:43:13 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

What is eating my cauliflower plants, and more importantly how can I
stop it?

I have Summer cauliflowers and summer cabbages planted together under
netting. The cabbages are untouched but the caulis have been
devastated. The hearts of the plants have been eaten and some of the
leaves chewed off at the stalk and are lying on the ground.

Any ideas on the perpetrator, or how to find out what it is would be
appreciated. I think they are too far gone to save, but I don't want my
Winter caulis to go the same way.

TIA
John

Big slugs or snails can be pretty devastating and leave bits of leaves
around but that sounds more like Voles, I don't see that type of
damage until into the winter when they can fell winter caulis like
beavers fell trees. Rat bait placed so non-target animals can't get it
or trapping, or a suitably cooperative cat seems to be indicated here.
Rod

Weed my address to reply