Old 27-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Lisa

Default Help! Blue Heron eating all of my fish!

After ten years of water gardening I never had a predator invade my pond
until now! I was recently married and moved my pond to my new home last
fall and our lot borders a creek with a natural pond about 200 feet away
from our house in the woods. We frequently see Blue Herons overhead and
enjoy the sight of them, until this morning when I got up close and personal
with one. I had sixteen big lovely goldfish that I have had for about the
entire length of time I have been water gardening. My husband went out the
other day and noticed orange scales along the edge of the pond and four fish
were missing! I immediately thought, raccoon! But this morning as I was
getting ready for church I looked out of the bedroom window to see a Blue
Heron approaching the pond! Is there any other way to deter them other than
a net over the pond? I thought maybe taking their food supply away for a
week may send them fishing elsewhere, but I suppose as they are flying by if
they look down and see the fish again, they would be back. I was going to
put the fish in a "holding" tank in the garage. Any suggestions on how to
deal with these guys? My fish are like pets to me. They swim and belly rub
right into my hand and I would like to avoid loosing anymore of them if
possible

Thanks,
Lisa