Old 27-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Gwenhyffar Milgi

Default Sigh

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:45:04 +0100, Rod
wrote:

I'm wondering if you might be planting out some of your veg before
it's hardened off properly? I don't sow very many crops direct these
days, things like brassicas I do in plug trays, then when they are
nearly ready for planting I put them outside surrounded by a slug
barrier on some sort of slug proof ground cover if they aren't on the
standing ground, don't plant until they've been there long enough to
get a bit tough. Peas are sown in multipurpose compost in short
lengths of plastic rainwater guttering, again they are slid out into
drills when the plants have got a little bit tough.
Still time to get in swedes, winter caulis, spring cabbage etc and
later on you can be planting garlic and even later overwintering broad
beans, they'll all be just a nice size for the voles by christmas.

Well, I have some left over roofing felt, you know the stuff? I was
just sitting here wondering if that might deter the slugs if I put it
around my plants, because it's got those little gravel sharp thingies
on it that really damages your hands if you don't wear gloves while
handling it.

--
"My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night
but ah my foes and oh my friends -- it gives a lovely light"